According to police, the detained people are being questioned. Police said, they are likely to detain and question more people in connection with Tuesday’s violence in the national capital.

An official said that multiple videos and CCTV footage are being scanned to identify farmers involved in the violence on Tuesday and that strict action will be taken against the culprits.

While police used teargas shells to disperse the restive crowds in some places, hundreds of farmers were seen chasing them with sticks at the ITO in the heart of the national capital.

Meanwhile, security has been beefed up in several places across the national capital especially at the Red Fort and farmer protest sites, with deployment of additional paramilitary forces following the violence.

Additional PRO (Delhi Police), Anil Mittal, said 22 FIRs have been so far registered in connection with Tuesday’s violence. More than 300 policemen have been injured in the incident, he said.

The Samkyukta Kisan Morcha which proposed the tractor rally on Republic Day had held several rounds of meetings with the Delhi Police in connection with their tractor parade.

They had given an undertaking to the police to take out a peaceful rally as per the proposed plans on four agreed upon routes. However, on Tuesday around 8.30 am, 6,000 to 7,000 tractors assembled at the Singhu border, police said. Instead of going on the predecided route, they insisted upon going towards central Delhi and despite repeated requests, the farmers, led by Nihangs on their horses and equipped with swords, kirpans and fursas, had charged at the police and broke through several layers of barricades, which were erected between Mukarba Chowk and Transport Nagar, the police had said. Similar incidents were reported from Gazipur and Tikri borders.

The farmers at the Gazipur border broke through the barricades at several points and headed for ITO, where they were joined by the farmers who had come from the Singhu border. At the Tikri border also, the farmers did not agree to the predecided plan and fought with police. They not only broke barricades, but also attacked police vehicles and personnel with deadly weapons.

Instead of turning towards Najafgarh, they headed towards Peeragarhi and further towards the central part of the national capital, police had said. At ITO, a large group of farmers, who had come from Gazipur and Singhu borders, had attempted to move towards Luytens’ Delhi. When they were stopped by policemen, a group of these farmers became violent and broke the barricades, damaged iron grills and dividers and even tried to run over the policemen deployed at these barricades, the police had said in a statement.

However, police personnel succeeded in stopping them from entering Lutyens’ Delhi. Meanwhile, some farmers also indulged in vandalism and attacked policemen. Later, they changed their plans and moved towards Red Fort, it had said.

A protester died after his tractor overturned near ITO, one of the major flashpoints of trouble. At Red Fort, they broke the gates and entered its wells. A section of the crowd also managed to climb atop the rampart of the Red Fort where they hoisted their organisation’s flag, the statement had said.

Forty-five Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) buses and five police vehicles were damaged in the violence that broke out at ITO during the farmers’ tractor parade in the national capital on Republic Day, according to an FIR registered in connection with the incident.

The Delhi Police stated that the protesters tried to enter Luytens’ Delhi from Tilak Bridge despite not given permission to hold the tractor parade in the jurisdiction of IP Estate Police station where the first information report (FIR) was registered.

According to the FIR, the farmers smashed the barricades and hit DTC buses stationed at ITO with their tractors and also tried to run over police personnel. “Police tried to convince the agitating farmers. However, they were adamant about going to Luytens’ area.

They also damaged vehicles and equipment of mediapersons,” it stated, adding that police used tear gas to disperse the protesters from the spot. “Police personnel were present at Ram Charan Aggarwal Chowk, ITO. Around 12 pm from Sarai Kale Khan towards MGM Marg, 500 to 600 tractors carrying around 9,000 to 10,000 protesters entered the ITO,” the police said in the FIR.

It claimed that a tractor, going to DDU Marg from Ram Charan Chowk, hit a barricade placed near Andhra Public School while being driven rashly, and overturned. While police personnel and others were trying to rescue the driver from under the tractor, the other protesters on tractors reached there and tried to run over the police, it stated. Some of the protesters took the driver to ITO Chowk.

Later, they took him and his tractor along with them and left the area. The deceased was later identified as Navneet Singh, a resident of Rampur district in Uttar Pradesh, the FIR stated. Police said in the FIR that during demonstration, six DTC buses, five police vehicles and 70 iron barricades were damaged.

Several police personnel were also got injured during the incident. When asked to comment about the case lodged against him, Tikait said FIR against any farmer leader is FIR against farmers of the country. Tikait alleged that “uneducated people” were driving tractors who did not know the paths of Delhi.

“Those who created violence and unfurled flags at Red Fort will have to pay for their deeds. For the last two months, a conspiracy is going on against a particular community.This is not a movement of Sikhs, but farmers. Our issues remain the same and our protest will continue,” he added.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *